Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Celebrating Pelicans?!?!?

It is because I am a father that I started this blog. A way to record memories, experiences thoughts, and emotions. I am forever grateful to my children, Sean, Ryne, Aubrey, Jacob, and Joshua for "making" me a father and allowing me the opportunity to participate in their amazing lives.  Time flies....the oldest prepares to leave the nest. Me: "Where is your head about this big move?" Sean, "It is a good thing it is happening so fast..less time to over analyze and over think!"  He truly has me in his blood as we are both over-analyzers.  But what an amazing person he is.  He has so many admirable traits (and a few not so admirable traits!!)  I find myself reflecting on his journey from my perspective.  Good student, great son and brother. His college experience transformed him into a man. He grew in his independence, took care of his business and experienced college at Iowa State University the way it is to be done. I sent him off 5 years ago with my aforementioned advice, "work hard, play hard!"  He did just that as a fraternity member, ATO, university leader and scholar. Following graduation he has had an ever too typical experience. Paid internship with the Beloit Snappers, a Minnesota Twins affiliate.  A few months off between November and January. He had "a cup of coffee" with the Lake County Fielders, and then a frustrating 3 months culminating with taking a job that would provide some income and structure. Prayers were then answered..he was offered and accepted a job with the Myrtle Beach Pelicans, a Texas Rangers Class A team.  CELEBRATE PELICANS!!    He is leaving in 14 hours of this posting. I am so proud, so excited and relieved. But, I am also anxious.  A father is lucky to have a son who teaches him as much as Sean has taught me!  Thoughtful decisions at a young age, trust in others, patience and a stick-to-it determination.  I know he has learned some things from me, those are the things I admire and have learned from him.  Fortunately, I will be able to write similar posts as each of my children grow-up as they have all taught me something. For today, Sean, I love you and admire you more than ever. You are strong, brilliant and loved. I will miss you as a son and a friend but remember, no matter where you lay your head, I am your father and I will always be wherever you are, forever. And by the way,
WORK HARD, PLAY HARD son! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment