Monday, April 18, 2011

I Need a Hero!

Today the term hero is overused and misunderstood!  It is my belief that a hero is somebody who does something above and beyond the call of duty for an individual specifically. As a child I claimed Roberto Clemente as a hero. Don't get me wrong, he was heroic to many and is admirable for sure. But, in reality, as i reflect, he was not really a hero to me, he was just the best baseball player I had ever seen!  My heroes, looking back were actually few in number. My father Gary has and always be a hero to me. That is not to slight my mom or any other family member, but truth be told he was my only true hero. He could not always be where I was however, so there were times when I counted on a "situational hero" based on the above definition.  As a 6 year old (I am estimating my age at this point) mu Uncle took me to Adler Pool, the local swimming hang out! Not only was I a bad swimmer but big kids scared me and there were only big kids there that day.  As Pavlov's dogs would have it, when I swim, I pee!  I left the pool to go to the showers, assumed the position, and did my business. In the way out 3 older boys thought it hilarious to make fun of my underwear. Honestly, they very well could have been worthy of ridicule. But, that day I was humiliated. Went back to the pool where my Uncle Joe could tell I was affected. He asked me what happened and embarrassed, I told him. "Follow me", he insisted. Nervous I walked with him back to the locker area. "It was them, wasn't it?"  I told him it was.  I thought he must be crazy, there were 3 of them. But something happened.  He walked within arms distance of all 3. He said, " Obviously you did not know this was my nephew or you would have never done this!"  The quickly apologized to him first then explained to me that they didn't know I was Joe's nephew and quickly left the showers.  Joe said, "let's go swim."  We did!  I don't know what it was about him and don't really care. That day, that moment I needed a "father figure" and he played that role wonderfully. He stood up to bullies, made me feel safe, and definitely went above and beyond the call of duty.  As an adult I realize that I have 2 heroes...my dad, and Jesus Christ.  But, I will never forget that on that day my uncle was a hero to me. I hope that in working with thousands of children over the last 25 years I may have been a "situational hero" for some youngster.  I challenge all of you to be that hero to somebody, every day!  Never be a bystander, be an upstander. Know that we make choices every single day in how we approach the children in our community.  You never know when one of them is counting  on you to be heroic!

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of a time when someone needed a "situational hero" who was willing to chase him through the woods to help him through a tough point in his life - won't ever forget that and everything else you've done for me!

    ReplyDelete