Saturday, April 30, 2011

What am I missing?

Every now and again I experience the blues. You know what I mean. You just don't feel right...low energy, lack of motivation, frustration. Is it work, the kids, the Cubs losing again?  Quickly you recognize it really isn't any of those things but you still can't figure out what it is..."THE BLUES"! I have a system I have developed to help me through these times that you may find helpful. Several colleagues and friends have said it has worked for them too! It is a combination of a brief "life inventory" and a GPS recalculation!  I have to use my life as an example. Often when I get down it may manifest itself as work or home stress but I have found that what it really is comes from something missing in my life at that time.  I am sure it is different based on each person but for me if I am not working out (competitive outlet), reading the bible (or if I have to miss church services), or I have not been able to have quality time with my wife and kids I enter the blues! Now, if 2 out of 3 of those things are going well I can still deal with life's curve balls pretty well.  But if 2 or more are missing I quickly find myself walking under grey skies!  Understanding this I am able to quickly determine which areas I am deficient in 99% of the time and then I switch to my personal GPS and "RECALCULATE"!  I develop a plan, mentally or in writing, as to how I will regain balance in those needed areas.  For me, it works almost every time and I am able to "snap out of it".  The blues will never stop coming for us but I am much better at minimizing the time it takes to jump back to terra firma!  Please, if the blues do not go away, consider seeking professional assistance. I have had to do that too and it was one of the smartest things I have ever done.  I hope this is helpful as life can be so trying at times!  Share your own methods and let me know if my system proves beneficial to you or someone you love!

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog Mark!

    For me, I first have to examine H.A.L.T. Am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired? I take care of those and often the other feelings go away.

    Then I remember that nothing outside of me will fill that hole. Only God and I can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mark. Great post...and timely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "system", as well as the H.A.L.T. method mentioned under the first comment, are great life tools. I've always felt that it's not what happens to us, but how we respond to it. I think that I get hung up the most when the "basics" of life are in check, but there's still another piece to the puzzle that's missing. That's when my GPS gets stuck in "recalculate" mode. Thanks for sharing your insight on this blog!

    ReplyDelete