Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Patriarch

There are a lot of really good Dad's out there working hard, loving their families and making a difference, Then there are "Patriarchs"!!  In my mind that title is akin to "Hall of Famer" in front of your name, in any sport. You see, the best of the best become Patriarchs. Not something you can study for, and just like hall of fame athletes', not something you can do in one day, or one "season".  That said. how fortunate are my children and I to be a part of the lives of 3 men who are definitively worth of the title Patriarch!
My wife.s grandfather, Ed Anenen is, no doubt, the Patriarch of the Anenen name.  A World War 2 Veteran, father of 5 and husband of 1 phenomenal woman, he has lived into his 90's with humility, high expectations, and a sense of humor to die for.  He sets a bar so high that very few could ever hope to reach it but anyone who reaches for it will finish better that they would have on their own.  My father-in-law, Paul Chapman is also worthy of the title. No man cherishes their children more than he does.  Hard worker,  selfless husband, and caring father are just some of the descriptors I would use to illustrate his core values! My dad, Gary Clement, come on, he had to deal with me for the last 47 years!! Truly, that could not have been an easy task. Today is his birthday and he is home, in the U.P. with mom and his brother's family. He is without question the patriarch of the Clement family. He has made a tremendous impact on the lives of me and my 2 sisters. He loves my wife and her family. But his endowment of "Patriarch" comes from his undying love and impact on his grandchildren.  It isn't something he did once, it is what he does always. He is amazingly trustworthy. That doesn't mean everyone always agrees with him but you will always know where you stand with him and will always know what to expect from him. He, without words, exudes an expectation of individual strength, inner trust, and achievement for each member of his family.  I for one tested those things over and over again!  Never, have I ever wondered what his expectations were. They have been the same since day 1 for me, my sisters and the grandkids...do your best, never embarrass the "Clement" name, and be good to others! Still working on all those things Dad!
Thanks to Ed, Paul, and Gary Clement for your selflessness, sacrifice, love, strength, unchanging expectations and for those things you have passed on to generations to come long after you have taken your rightful place on the Golden Highway!

No comments:

Post a Comment